When you own a home, one of the most menacing dangers to your property and loved ones is the chance of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration calculated in 2019 that American homeowners took on about $1.6 billion in damages by means of accidental or negligent fires. The terrible truth is fires are unexpected and are often preventable -- if you know where to start. And hopefully you are equipped with a monitored fire alarm that gets you help fast should you ever have an incident.
What Causes House Fires In Jefferson City?
Fires can happen in nearly any place at any time in the house. However, you may reduce the threat of a house fire by taking countermeasures around the following objects:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is overwhelmingly the number 1 cause of a house fire in Jefferson City. Kitchen-related flames typically start when the kitchen is left ignored during meal preparation. Water tossed on a grease fire only works to spread a flame that would otherwise be contained.
- Candles: Going to sleep in a room with a going candle is problematic, even when you use a deep candle holder. The flame is more than capable of catching a curtain on fire if left on a window sill, and a dog or cat can knock candles over. The National Fire Protection Association approximates that greater than 7,600 houses were damaged due to candle-related incidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Corroded electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, aging or improperly installed lighting, and split lamp cords can all cause a fire. Be sure not to overload your outlets or plug an item in with exposed electrical components. On the off chance you hear popping or smell smoke from the outlet, turn the breaker off ahead of checking it out.
- Space Heaters: Skip over coiled space heaters because junk, like pet fur, paper, or blankets can accidentally make contact and alight. However, you need to make sure to check on fan and ceramic space heaters for the entire duration of use.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 residence fires started by cigars, pipes, or cigarettes. So if you have a smoker who partakes inside, be certain they never fall asleep with a cigarette or smoke in bed. And fully extinguish your paraphernalia prior to placing it into a waste bin.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Does Help When You Have A Fire
If a fire should start, you have to have an early warning system to inform your family members before it's too late. An ordinary smoke alarm might be sufficient but is limited to alerting you if smoke is really billowing. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a security device that's pair with your home security devices -- is able to detect both smoke and climbing heat and can do more to ensure your family is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has multiple ways it can inform you of smoke. Your alarms will notify your family with an incredibly loud alarm and an alert to your cell phone. That’s when your ever-vigilant monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And if you're ever somewhere where you can't speed you your house when a fire starts, you can have peace of mind that your monitoring agent will maintain communication between you and first responders.
Utilize Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The odds of house fires in Jefferson City should never be underestimated, but you can rest assured if you install a monitored fire alarm on hand. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you place all the fire detectors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (573) 200-8693 or submit the form below to begin.